My Gallery

Welcome to Pikay's Gallery

I'm a self-taught crocheter/knitter that's always hunger to learn more. A mammoth thank you to all fellow crocheter/knitter that took their time to post videos and written tutorial. It wouldn't have been possible without your contribution! THANK YOU!

2/18/2012:

Wow! Another year slipped by...how time flies when you're knitting :) It's obvious, I've been slacking on my blog update. Last post was 4/27/11! I'm officially an occasional blogger only. What I slack off in blog, I more than made-up in knitting and crocheting. Most of my projects are somewhat recent on Ravelry.

Major milestone for 2011:

Shelliyanni went live on 8/6/11. My first knitting pattern for sale.

All patterns here are for personal and charitable use only. Please do not sell the patterns or the finished project. Thank you for honoring this request.



Adjustable Strap

My 6 year old is really skinny, but tall. Most of her clothing, especially bottoms, are too loose. If I get her a 4 year old skirt or pants, it would fit her waist perfectly, but it be will too short! One would think getting her bottoms with elastic band would solve the problem, but even then, it is falling off her! "Mommy!!!! It fell off when I jumped or run really fast!!"

This skirt is for 6 year old already with an elastic bands, and it's falling off before I add the straps.





So this is what I did:
Added an adjustable straps on the inside. This definitely save me from having to go out and hunt for those adjustable elastic band with button loop.
  • I sew the button about 1" off the side seam of the skirt on the inside
  • Sew on a baby fingering yarn about 2.5" from the button. Leaving about 1" tail. 
  • Pull up a loop and chain 20, sl st to lst ch. Fasten off
  • Sew fasten off tail to skirt
  • Knot it together a few times with the beginning tail to ensure the sew on chain won't come loose when it's stretched when worn
Add a button & a ch-20 loop.
Loop once to tightened.
Loop again (if you want it tighter), turn loop into figure 8, and hoop around button.


After adding the straps.
After I added the straps, it passed her jumping and running test. It does look a bit funny on the side as it has been tightened, but it should be ok since she wear her shirt out all the time.

Then I started thinking, if she wear her shirt in, it would look bit funny. So I got thinking of adding the straps on the outside.

Variation:

Adding the straps and button on the outside of skirt.
This would serve 2 purpose: hold up her skirt/pants & decorative as well. So in the future, I might try adding the straps on the outside, in the front, with cute buttons or crocheted buttons, or flowers.

No comments: